Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Weekend Adventures

Let me tell you there is nothing better in the world than waking up to NO ELECTRICITY!!! Though, I shouldn't complain since I actually have a roof over my head. Ole Gustav is causing a lot of trouble. I couldn't believe my eyes when I passed through town the other day and ALL three of our motels were full, even the not-so-great ones! Makes one appreciate what they have. I don't know if I could just pack up the bare necessities and travel to an unfamiliar city without the guarantee I'd ever see my home again. It's sad really. Lake Village has been trying to help out. We have the high school gym open for evacuees and several of the churches are feeding those staying here. Let's just hope this hurricane blows through and doesn't cause the devastation that Katrina did three years ago.

On to the weekend!! So, I'm sure it's understood that the Razorbacks played their first game this weekend against Western Illinois. First of all, since when do we play any team out of Illinois? Second, is there no way possible with this great technology we have that it couldn't be broadcast on television? They must not realize we live in a hotbed of humidity and mosquitos down here!!! sheesh...anyway, Jared and I had a few friends over to listen to the game, eat a great meal (provided by Clint) and visit. The Hogs ended up winning and so did the mosquitos! So, most of the girls retreated to the inside of the house. Below we have what I like to call "The Italian Wives Club"....Pieronis and Sabbatini....can't mistake the Italian there. Sarah is due in late October. Isn't she just the cutest little pregnant lady?


Before the game, Becky and I were determined to take the S.S. Pieroni out just one more time before Mr. Mark decided to winterize it. Neither one of us feel terribly comfortable putting such an expensive vessel in the water by ourselves and not a guy was to be found anywhere. That's just our luck. Thank God Becky's husband came home and put it in and then drove me, Becky and Brooklynn around for awhile. Brooklynn has been begging me all summer to go out on the boat, so this was our last chance. She grinned from ear to ear the whole time. Daniel even let her drive the last little bit to the city docks. While I was trying to help her on to the dock, I did the splits with one leg on the boat and one on the dock and fell ever so gracefully into the lake. Now, that's MY luck. I had to drag myself around the dock and climb on the ramp where I then stepped on a fish fin! Twice as nice, eh? I finally stumbled back up on the boat....of course, Becky was in hysterics and I still can't find that cover-up I was wearing....


This past Sunday was Homecoming at my church. Everyone knows us Baptists have to have "an eating" after the meeting...it's just tradition. There is nothing better than a spread of all kinds of comfort food made by southern church ladies. All of my mom's sisters were there for the occaison and even my good friend, Valerie, as you can see below.



Can you see the Roark resemblance??? You can't hardly get a word in edgewise with this bunch!





I must say that this weekend was a good one. I got to hang out with a bunch of friends, eat some delicious food, see relatives I haven't seen in awhile, cruise Lake Chicot one last time and just relax. It's too bad it didn't last longer. Now, it's back to the same old 8-5 routine....blech....until next time!

2 comments:

Jill said...

After being gone all weekend! I love coming home to your blog! It's just so funny! I wish I was there to see your gymnast abilities as you plumped down into the lake!

Daniel and Becky Pieroni said...

The Italian Wives Club...tehehee...too bad we have horrible lake hair in that picture! I remember you taking your cover-up and wringing it out b/c it was soaked...but I thought you took it with you...Hopefully you didn't leave it outside...b/c I'm sure it's to the west coast by now with all this flippin wind!